Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
re: retrofit existing roof[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: "seaint" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: re: retrofit existing roof
- From: "Andrew Kester, P.E." <akester(--nospam--at)cfl.rr.com>
- Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 09:22:09 -0500
Whether the Code in your jurisdiction says it or not, you are buying that roof. If there are any problems with that roof throughout his life, you are on the hook. Make sure the old roof can handle all the loads that are on it once you are all done with it, at least you are not in snow country, but you do have wind and seismic connection issues.
If there is a section in your code on Existing Structures (there is one for us in FL in the FBC), they may require lateral force system upgrades. There are many situations now where if you modify the roof system you must upgrade the entire lateral system to conform to current wind and gravity load requirements. We always inform the owner of this during our proposal phase, so they understand the costs involved.
Andrew Kester, P.E.
ADK Structural Engineering, PLLC
1510 E. Colonial Ave., Suite 301
Orlando, FL 32803
- Prev by Subject: Retaining Wall Problem
- Next by Subject: RE: retrofit existing roof
- Previous by thread: RE: pre-fabricated building
- Next by thread: RE: retrofit existing roof