From: Drew Morris [mailto:dmorris(--nospam--at)bbfm.com]
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2008 10:58 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Use 8d nails or 10d nails for Structural Panel Shear Walls

Szuchuan Chang wrote:
> I am re-tooling to 2007 CBC wood design.  Many items need to be updated.
>
> Many years ago, I was told to stay with 8d and 16d nails (common) as
> much as possible.  In Doug Thompson's design example 1A, page 19,  in
> the SDM Vol 2, he uses 10d nails on 4" o.c. with 510 plf allowable
> shear.  It looks to me that he has been using 10d nails since the 1997
> UBC examples.  I must be very out of date!
>
> If Simpson Strong-tie's SSN10 nails (shorter than the real 10d) are
> used in these applications, the 10d nails make sense.  It would be
> easier to drive into the studs.
>
> My question is: "Are most of the plywood shear walls are specified
> with 10d nails these days in your office standards?"
>
> Thanks
>
> Sam Chang
>
> PS:  Seems like a lot information on staples.  Are they more commonly
> used over the nails in the state of California now?

We use 8d nails unless there is a case where 10d nails will work and
there is not a Simpson Strong Wall or equivalent product that will work.
Also, we allow the substitution of 14 ga staples for 8d nails where
possible.  There are cases that 8d @ 4" oc will work, but not 14ga
staples at the same spacing.