Re: Use 8d nails or 10d nails for Structural Panel Shear Walls

I subscribe in Digest Mode, so have not seen today's comments on this.  My
apologies for any redundancy.

To clarify Chuck's comment, "10-penny shorts"  are NOT the same as "teco" or
"joist-hanger" nails.  They are labeled as "plywood nails", and come in
lengths of 2-1/8" and 2-1/4 inches (predominantly for the 10-penny (0.148in
shank diameter)--can't remember the length for 8-penny...).  This provides
proper nail embedment in the studs when fastening up to 5/8-inch shear
panels.  (This is covered in The Shear Wall Answer Book, aka "Wood-Framed
Shear Wall Construction--an Illustrated Guide" (published by the ICC,
written yours truly))

Some of you will be *shocked*, but I specify these "plywood nails"
exclusively.  Think about it--a 10-penny common is adequate by code to
fasten two layers of 2x material together--if you only have 5/8-inch thick
plywood, what good does the "extra" 7/8-inch of nail length do?  No good at
all--in fact it's WORSE than using a short nail, because it will tend to
split the studs more easily.

btw,  "plywood nails"  have to meet  ESR 1539 for code approval.  Put
another way, if they comply with ESR 1539 they meet the code.

Thor Matteson, SE
www.shearwalls.com