Re: AASHTO Plate Girders

Thanks a lot for your prompt response Tom!

http://www.steelbridges.org/pdfs/DesignExample1.pdf

The above is a design example from the NSBA.  Page 8, section 4.1 uses the table I referenced.  They use L = max span length, as did I.  I don't see anything that defines L in the AASHTO table.  Can you help me out by pointing to a part of the code that I may use to document your proposed L?

Also,  if I'm reading the table correctly, the formula I used specifically states "depth of I-beam portion of composite I-beam".  I take this to mean the outside dimension of flange to flange.

Again,  thanks for the response Tom.  If you or others can help with the additional issues above I'd appreciate it!