RE: Fire wall/shear wall on property line

If you go this route, be sure to include an appropriate overstrength factor for the connectors if you are using published values that incorporate a strength-reduction safety factor.  You probably also need to somehow consider dynamic effects of the collapsing members.

Another approach is to use the NFPA 221 fire wall standard.  Design criteria for fire walls are given, including prescriptive values for collapse forces.

Jason Emoto

From: Jeff Hedman [mailto:jeff_h(--nospam--at)lrpope.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 12:17 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Fire wall/shear wall on property line

Jordan,

Thanks for the input, I will have to run the numbers and see what the lowest connection force is and use that force to determine the steel in the wall.  That would at least give me an idea what the steel needs to be.  If all I need to do is add some more steel, that will be cheap compared to the rated roof options.

Jeff

Checked by AVG Free Edition.