Re: canopy wind loads

In a message dated 2/6/2008 3:04:00 PM Pacific Standard Time, akester(--nospam--at)cfl.rr.com writes:
Any canopies, porte cocheres, etc. that are directly attached to the main building are modeled as OVERHANGS for wind pressure determination in our office. If the overhang is large enough, we do look at reducing the uplift force at the portion of the structure that is further away from the main building. This is due to the affect of lateral wind hitting the wall surface and then going up the building until it hits the ceiling/soffit of the overhang. The larger the overhang, we assume some reduction because the wind pressure has open areas to alleviate the pressure. It also depends on how open the overhang is, if there are any walls or any other objects under the overhang to consider. Engineering judgment....

HTH,
Andrew
I agree with you on this Andrew....I don't see how others could consider this an open structure you may consider it a hybrid open structure, as you said engineering judgment.

Joe Venuti
Johnson & Nielsen Associates
Palm Springs, CA