Re: Fire wall/shear wall on property line

Jordan,
Yes. I believe it is really difficult to design a wall which will remain standing when the roof it is supporting comes down. Given that, I tried to allow the roof supports to rotate, i.e. hinge, by using relatively small welds. It is not a job I would use as an example, but I was just throwing out the idea of the spray-on. Two years ago, I had the same problem with a plaza-a high fire wall breaking up the plaza into 2 compartments. I couldn't come up with a satisfactory detail so I persuaded the architect to go with a double masonry wall, which is not easy to do, i.e, persuade arch.
Gary

Jordan Truesdell, PE wrote:
Wouldn't the wall still potentially come down (negating the firewall) if the roof collapsed?

Jordan

Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc. wrote:
Had a similar problem with a steel-framed building right on the property line but without the retaining wall. We applied a 2 hour spray-on fire-retardant foam.
Gary