Re: Fire wall/shear wall on property line

I haven't totally been following this discussion, but has someone suggested placing columns adjacent to the wall in the affected area to support the roof framing along the wall?  Then the failure of the roof framing would not affect the stability of the wall.  The diaphagm could still be attached to a wall ledger to transfer lateral loads.  Or does this just impact cost and schedule too much?

-Ben Maxwell

"Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc." <ghodgson(--nospam--at)bellnet.ca> wrote:
Jordan,
Yes. I believe it is really difficult to design a wall which will
remain standing when the roof it is supporting comes down. Given that,
I tried to allow the roof supports to rotate, i.e. hinge, by using
relatively small welds. It is not a job I would use as an example, but
I was just throwing out the idea of the spray-on. Two years ago, I had
the same problem with a plaza-a high fire wall breaking up the plaza
into 2 compartments. I couldn't come up with a satisfactory detail so I
persuaded the architect to go with a double masonry wall, which is not
easy to do, i.e, persuade arch.
Gary

Jordan Truesdell, PE wrote:
> Wouldn't the wall still potentially come down (negating the firewall)
> if the roof collapsed?
>
> Jordan
>

> Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc. wrote:
>> Had a similar problem with a steel-framed building right on the
>> property line but without the retaining wall. We applied a 2 hour
>> spray-on fire-retardant foam.
>> Gary

> * * This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers *
> Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To * subscribe
> (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
> *
> * http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
> *
> * Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you *
> send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted * without
> your permission. Make sure you visit our web * site at:

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
* site at: http://www.seaint.org

Benjamin H. Maxwell, S.E.