Re: Shop Drawings

domdean(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
I was wondering how people are handling the latest "innovation" where shop drawings are now e-mailed out instead of the normal process where an office may get 3 or 4 (or more) hard copies. Some of the projects can be fairly extensive with shop drawings. My general notes include one indicating that I am to receive a minimum of 3 sets of shop drawings for whatever is applicable (reinforcing steel, structural steel, etc.). There can be a substantial cost (both in time required and paper involved). It seems as though it is one more item that's being forced on the engineer of record.

Domenic DeAngelo P.E.
More new features than ever. Check out the new AOL Mail <http://o.aolcdn.com/cdn.webmail.aol.com/mailtour/aol/en-us/text.htm?ncid=aolcmp00050000000003>!
For the cases of electronic submissions, you are right that the engineer now has to print out the submitted shop drawings. We have been getting electronic submissions for only small projects. We have been responding with a memo (PDF) describing the errors and required corrections with the shop drawing stamp. If the corrections cannot be adequately described in writing, we return red-lined drawings.