Re: Shop Drawings

First, you've got to state in the Gen Notes exactly what format you're going to accept.  If, for any reason you're required (by yourself, the GC or Arch) to work with hard copies, require that they be supplied.  Give the option of having you print them, but at their cost.  That can still save the time and$ of transportation of drawings.  You should be able to either send back a sepia, or have the copies or ecectronic scans produced (after mark-up, again at their cost.)

>>> On 2/7/2008 at 3:16 PM, <domdean(--nospam--at)aol.com> wrote:
I was wondering how people are handling the latest "innovation" where shop drawings are now e-mailed out instead of the normal process where an office may get 3 or 4 (or more) hard copies. Some of the projects can be fairly extensive with shop drawings. My general notes include one indicating that I am to receive a minimum of 3 sets of shop drawings for whatever is applicable (reinforcing steel, structural steel, etc.). There can be a substantial cost (both in time required and paper involved). It seems as though it is one more item that's being forced on the engineer of record.

Domenic DeAngelo P.E.