From: Showalter, Buddy [mailto:Buddy_Showalter(--nospam--at)afandpa.org] On Behalf Of AWC
Info
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2008 8:31 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Minimum edge distance OR back to the treated lumber
question.....

Scott/Dennis,

One qualifier on the use of NDS(r) 11.5 - it only applies for D>=1/4"
fasteners. For nails and wood screws, see the NDS Commentary. Table
C11.1.5.6 for recommended nail spacing. There's a similar table for wood
screws as well in C11.1.4.

If you don't have a NDS Commentary, you can download one here:
http://www.awc.org/pdf/NDSCommentary2005.pdf

HTH

Buddy

John "Buddy" Showalter, P.E.
Director, Technical Media
AF&PA/American Wood Council
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036
P: 202-463-2769
F: 202-463-2791
http://www.awc.org

The American Wood Council (AWC) is the wood products division of the
American Forest & Paper Association (AF&PA). AWC develops internationally
recognized standards for wood design and construction. Its efforts with
building codes and standards, engineering and research, and technology
transfer ensure proper application for engineered and traditional wood
products.

The guidance provided herein is not a formal interpretation of any AF&PA
standard.  Interpretations of AF&PA standards are only available through a
formal process outlined in AF&PA's standards development procedures.