From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)umich.edu]
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2008 2:31 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Yet another Wind question

"The tributary area of 700sf is not a part of the definition of MWFRS
but is
a helpful exception that allows C&C elements with TA larger than 700sf
to be
treated as MWFRS. As you say, if the intent is there then the rules
should
be revised."

That is what we (or at least I) was talking about.  The point is the
MWFRS
tables can end up getting used for MORE than just MWFRS pressures.  For
C&C
items with large trib areas, you end up using the MWFRS pressures for
C&C
purposes.

You are correct in that such an element would NOT be a MWFRS
ELEMENT...it
would still be a C&C ELEMENT.  That distinction is determined by its
function as you pointed out.  But, the point was that some C&C ELEMENTS
get
large enough that you use MWFRS PRESSURES to design it.

It is an important distiction even if it ultimately just semantics (you
only
really care if it is a MWFRS or C&C element to determine which method is
used to determine pressures...thus, it matters little where you CALL an
element a MWFRS or C&C element if it ultimately using the MWFRS method
get the wind design pressures).

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI