Re: Shop Drawings

For me the hardest part of the shop drawing experience was trying to get the owner or architect (design prime) to write their project specifications in a manner that worked for the team.  It was never pleasant.

In my experience the CDs would go out to bid and THEN after the contracts were awarded the discussion about shop drawings would begin.  At that point the contractor is holding all the cards and you're going to have to perform at their mercy.  So if it's not settled early on, forget about it being a smooth, electronic process that saves trees.

On bigger steel office buildings this means certain doom for younger engineers left to transfer red marks to six sets of prints.  It's nothing but wasted productivity, writer's cramps, and ink-stained hands from there on out.

That's also one aspect of construction administration that can make or break a project's profitability.

Being on the owner's side now, I certainly do not miss the shop drawing review process.

-Ben Maxwell

"Jordan Truesdell, PE" <seaint2(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com> wrote:
In Adobe Acrobat 7 (Pro): Document | Digital Signatures | Sign this Document, then choose the Certify option in the popup. I enter my password, why I'm signing, and indicate where in the document I'd like to visually apply the certification mark.

I self certify, and will email my public key (again, generated within Acrobat) to anyone who needs to verify the digital signature. I'm halfway to getting the public key available on my website so that I'm not involved in the verification process (nobody has ever asked, to be honest), but have been too busy to update my home page to link to the key.

If I were not so cheap, I'd pay Verisign $595 a year and they would provide me a private key, and make my public key available to whomever asked. As a bonus, the timestamp would be tied to their timeserver.  Since nobody in the AEC industry really cares when a stamp is signed, I'm not too worried about my certification being based on the time of my local machine.
Jordan

Jerry Coombs wrote:
Certify the set?  How are you doing that (I digress)

Benjamin H. Maxwell, S.E.