Re: Fire wall/shear wall on property line

Yeah, those darn col-yuums are always in everyone's way.  When are we engineers going to learn to train gravity?

Only 24 feet columns?  Come on, have you ever seen the columns on the 101 California Street building in San Francisco?  It's enough to give you the jitters.  Look at the photo on the right.  I used to work a block away and it scared me to eat lunch in this building's shadow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/101_California_Street
Jeff, do us all a favor and let us know how this situation works out.  Thanks!

-Ben

Jeff Hedman <jeff_h(--nospam--at)lrpope.com> wrote:
Ben,

This is also an option, but the way this particular building is, the beams and columns supporting the building would be 24 feet high.  Also, the bottom 12? of wall is a 12? thick concrete retaining wall and the top of the wall is an 8? masonry wall, there is a 4 ? gap between the beams and columns.  The columns would also be sticking out into the space which the client didn?t want.  So we began investigating the double wall option mentioned earlier.

Jeff

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Benjamin H. Maxwell, S.E.