RE: Simpson Titen HD not approved for use in concrete

Concrete Screw Anchors

Similarly to adhesives, in 2006 testing procedures were developed to include ‘Cracked Concrete’ tests for concrete screws. Since July of '06 manufacturers have been testing concrete screws to the amended Acceptance Criteria (AC193.) There are no concrete screws at this time that have code reports complying with AC193 due to its late amendment. The majority of Building Departments in California have not issued a statement or developed guidelines regarding the use of AC193 concrete screws at this time. Most Building Departments have said that they will likely continue to accept AC106 concrete screws (Titen HD) on a case-by-case basis until AC193 compliant ICC-ES code reports are released. As Building Departments develop policies, this information may become outdated. Also note that DSA and OSHPD have not released a final policy to date but will likely agree with the statements below.

It is important to remember that;

All projects PERMITTED under the CBC ’01 SHOULD BE ABLE TO UTILIZE AC106 Concrete Screws during Construction Phases. The Titen HD was qualified under AC106 testing requirements including seismic tests.

CMU is entire unaffected by the change to AC193 'cracked concrete' testing procedures (AC193 does not include CMU testing). AC106 concrete screws, like the Titen HD, may be used for CMU designs as tested data supports.

Again, I cannot guarantee that all Building Departments will agree with the statements above.  This is the most up to date information I have at this time.  Please feel free to ask me any questions about ACI 318 Appendix D anchor design requirements or the statements made above.  I can be reached at wallen(--nospam--at)strongtie.com and would be happy to keep anyone updated.

Thanks,
Wendy Allen, PE
Simpson Strong-Tie Anchor Systems Field Engineer

email: wallen(--nospam--at)strongtie.com
voicemail: 209.944.1090
fax: 415.674.6694