Re: AISC 341 - NonBuilding

Dave,

Probably not in the way you are use to.  As I am sure you have discovered the 2006 IBC pushes you to ASCE 7-05 for seismic design.  ASCE 7-05 now has a separate Chapter 15 for Non-Building Structures which has clarifications for pipe racks, storage racks, tanks, vessels, piping, etc.  Within ASCE 7-05 Chapter 15 there is a TABLE 15.4-1 that shows the Detailing Requirement cross reference for the varies structural systems and associated R factors.  For structural steel most of the available structural systems require detailing to AISC 341 which really does not distinguish between building and non-building structures.  If you go with a very low R factor, in some cases you need only comply with AISC 360 where you may get some relaxation in the kl/r, b/t , etc.

When was the last time the CODE got simpler?!?

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

"Dave Adams" <davea(--nospam--at)laneengineers.com>
02/11/2008 10:32 AM
Please respond to seaint
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
AISC 341 - NonBuilding

Happy Monday,

Are there any exceptions in the seismic design code for higher SDC's (D - F) for nonbuilding structures, specifically related to geometrical restrictions for link beams, brace slenderness, etc.?  The 1997 UBC had simplified checks in Chapter 22 based on the level of force resisted as opposed to stringent geometrical restrictions that were pretty nice to use.  We design equipment support structures, inspection platforms, and other elements for a large number of industrial facilities -- typically with a low level of force to resist -- and I'm not sure if there are any special allowances.  Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm still used to the UBC for many of the "simpler" things.

TIA,
Dave K. Adams, P.E., S.E.
LANE ENGINEERS, INC.

Tulare, CA  93274