spacing limits for concrete beam shear reinforcement

Perhaps someone can help us navigate the ACI 318 provisions and exceptions related to shear reinforcement spacing limits and area minimums.

When considering 12”Wx16”D c.i.p. floor beams on c.i.p. columns for an elevated V-Zone residence, ACI 318, 11.5.5 requires stirrups at about 6” oc if d is taken to be 0.8*h. Based only on strength considerations, the spacing could be 14” if No.3 stirrups are used. Torsion can be neglected which helps with Av min per 11.5.6.3 but that doesn’t help with the spacing.

Are there any alternatives or exceptions to 6”oc stirrups short of switching to reinforced masonry which would does not have such restrictive spacing limits? We are limited on height so increasing d is not an option.

I’m concerned that a stirrup spacing less than 12” oc would be impractical for the typical residential contractor.

Thanks in advance.

Christopher Banbury, PE

President

Ark Engineering, Inc.

PO Box 10129, Brooksville, FL 34603

22 North Broad ST, Brooksville, FL 34601

Phone: (352) 754-2424

Fax: (352) 754-2412

www.arkengineering.net