Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 12:09 AM
Subject: RE: SEAW Wind Procedure

Joe,

I was not aware that the method being derived in Washington was an approved method as yet. It was suggested by another California Engineer active in SEA that a group from California, Oregon and Washington (not excluding your area or Nevada and Utah) form an alliance to work on a simplified method that can be presented for approval and submission for legislative approval in each state.

I was sent a beta version of a piece of software that is being worked on by the Wood Truss Council of America (WTCA) and have notices that they have a similar problem updating from the 2003 IBC and the IRC to the current code requirements. They are partially there while I am working on my own Multi-Lat?.

I?ll take a stab at it (although I do not have a copy of their design methodology) is that they are looking at the uplift on the tributary width of each truss (2 sounds like it might be trusses spaced at 24? o.c.) times the length of the truss and the dead load applied to the truss to calculate the required ties necessary to avoid uplift (if it occurs based on the resisting force of the truss. If the length of the truss or framing member is assumed to be 50-feet then the dead load acting on it is compared to the uplift depending on whether or not it is an open building, partially open building or a closed building with the uplift acting on the eave.  I?m guessing here so don?t hold it against me if I am wrong but if the roof framing were spaced at 24? o.c. then the tributary area of the roof member is the length times 1?-0? on each side or 2-feet which would give you a member with a tributary area in square feet. The uplift acting on it must be determined from what type of exposure the interior of the building receives (open, partially open or closed).

Let me know if you verify this.

Dennis