wind load on garages

Dennis,
You have to design your building as enclosed, otherwise you get into partially enclosed and you would have wind pressure on the bottom chord of the roof trusses or on the floor, as well as pressure on the interior walls, etc. Unless you know from the begining that this will be a carport type structure with no door at all. We have to assume during a wind even the doors and windows will be closed and not fail, but since I have done a lot of forensic investigations after hurricanes, I can tell you in my opinion this is how many structures fail. Which I realize is pretty common knowledge since everyone boards up their windows...

Garage doors have to be designed for wind loads and the manufacturers either have to submit testing or engineering (in Florida at least and I assume everywhere). These are the achile heels of houses during wind loads. They sell reinforcement kits and some garage doors come with additional beams and columns, as well as anchors for the floor, that you put in the door when a hurricane is approaching.

I realize that in your area of the country, the Santa Anna winds may not give you that much warning, but I doubt Code would require you to design for both a closed and open condition. You may want to add a note to CYA on the drawings...

Andrew Kester, P.E.
Principal/Project Manager
ADK Structural Engineering, PLLC
1510 E. Colonial Ave., Suite 301