Re: PEMB engineers

I try not to review the engineering or design of the PEMB whenever possible.  If I can sink 4 - 3/4" anchors into a hunk of concrete to resist 20k of uplift, my job is done.  By reviewing/approving and requesting additional data from the PEMB manufacturer on anything which occurs above the finished slab level, I may be unintentionally taking responsibility for the oversight of the building engineering.

Of course, I usually state explicitly that I am engineering only the foundation for reactions provided by the metal building manufacturer. In cases where there is an architect involved, I expand that to specifying the performance criteria (environmental loads and deflection limits).  That thing they set on my foundation may be a hot air balloon, a giant wooden pallet, a group of containers, or a PEMB. As long as it matches the interface loads and bolt pattern, it's none of my business.

I may be off base, but that's how I understand my E&O coverage.
Jordan

Jnapd(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
Christopher & Andrew

That is the way I resolve base plate size and thickness issues also.  I have a project on my desk with 20k uplift 3/4" bolts @ 4"oc and 1/4" thk base plate.  I give the design engineer the choice.

Provide engineering to justify base plate thickness or change to what I am directing you.

If not done shop drawings are rejected as unacceptable. The cities/counties have no problem with this.

And I also tell the client if he insist we design with preliminary numbers he will pay cost for redesign when final calculations are received.