From: Daniel Popp
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 10:56 AM
Subject: Re: Moving Walkway Seismic Restraint

Ben,

Thanks for your response.  The manufacturer is designing the anchorage;  however, they are designing it for no lateral force.  Their "anchorage" consists of a stack of steel shims and a wood block.  They do know that we are in a fairly high seismic zone, but insist that their structure floats.  Which of course it will, until it collides with our structure.  Then we will have a 50 kip force (plus impact) at unknown locations.

The latest development:  we have asked that their letter be stamped by a structural engineer with a local license.  They are refusing.

Any thoughts are appreciated.  We will be preparing a summary of the IBC/ASCE 7 requirements to demonstrate the magnitude of the forces involved, although this may not help.

Regards,
Daniel