Re: CBO

Ontario has instituted a new regime in 2006 in which all building officials and non-professional designers(plumbers, sewage system inspectors, house designers, etc) submitting drawings for permits have to pass government set and supervised examinations. Those who pass are assigned a BCIN (building code identication number) which has to be placed on all drawings and correspondance so that others can check on a gov't web site whether they are registered and certified. This scared the pants off a few building officials. The government tried to apply it to architects and professional engineers but the PEO sued the gov't and won and the judges said also applied to archies. The exams are not easy; I tried the Part 3-Life, Safety and health- and failed twice. The structural part was not easy ( it is code knowledge, not engineering); I passed it the first time but I know two engineers who tried 3 times before succeeding. Then, after all that we won the court case and were exempted. This is more bureaucracy, but arguements can be made in its favour, i.e. now building officials are tested to the same standards and are more qualified; it made a few people retire and it weeded out some fly-by-night designers.
Gary