Re: CBO

We have a great organization here in the US called the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB).  Such rules don't go over well with their constituency, as the restrictions would eat in to their profits.  It might also reduce their work, as it might make their buildings last longer than 20 years before they have to be replaced.
Now, the NAHB has nationally been the 3rd largest "donator" to political coffers (also  known as "make your own rules"), and the #1 donator here in Texas, so the good things you describe likely won't happen here.

>>> On 2/13/2008 at 6:55 AM, "Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc." <ghodgson(--nospam--at)bellnet.ca> wrote:
Ontario has instituted a new regime in 2006 in which all building
officials and non-professional designers(plumbers, sewage system
inspectors, house designers, etc) submitting drawings for permits have
to pass government set and supervised examinations.  Those who pass are
assigned a BCIN (building code identication number) which has to be
placed on all drawings and correspondance so that others can check on a
gov't web site whether they are registered and certified.  This scared
the pants off a few building officials.  The government tried to apply
it to architects and professional engineers but the PEO sued the gov't
and won and the judges said also applied to archies.  The exams are not
easy; I tried the Part 3-Life, Safety and health- and failed twice.  The
structural part was not easy ( it is code knowledge, not engineering); I
passed it the first time but I know two engineers who tried 3 times
before succeeding.  Then, after all that we won the court case and were
exempted.  This is more bureaucracy, but arguements can be made in its
favour, i.e. now building officials are tested to the same standards and
are more qualified; it made a few people retire and it weeded out some
fly-by-night designers.
Gary

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org