Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
ASCE 7 flood impact load inflation[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: ASCE 7 flood impact load inflation
- From: "Christopher Banbury" <cbanbury(--nospam--at)arkengineering.net>
- Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 12:33:58 -0500
The 7-98 Standard recommended a duration of 1 second which in our area could result in a impact load of about 1kip.
The 7-02 version dropped the recommended duration to about 0.1 second which can result in loads of around 4 kips.
The 7-05 version is recommending durations of around 0.03s which can result in loads of around 12 kips.
Does anyone know of a recent design guide or perhaps a contact person on the Chapter 5 subcommittee that could help explain the reasoning behind this escalation and how the new rational method in the 7-05 commentary should be applied? The FEMA Coastal Construction Manual has not been updated in several years and still references the 1s duration of impact and the older ASCE 7-98 load combinations.
Christopher Banbury, PE
Ark Engineering, Inc.
Phone: (352) 754-2424
Fax: (352) 754-2412
- Prev by Subject: RE: ASCE 3 follow up
- Next by Subject: ASCE 7-05 Cantilevered Column System vs. Inverted Pendulum-Type Structures
- Previous by thread: RE: fibermesh rates
- Next by thread: Local Aspen Colorado Structural Engineer Needed