RE: IBC 2007 Wind calcs.

Thank you Matthew, I will read this with great interest.

From: Matthew [mailto:sandman21(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2008 9:48 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: IBC 2007 Wind calcs.

Matthew

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 9:34 AM, Paul Feather <PFeather(--nospam--at)se-solutions.net> wrote:

Stan,

First off, the simplified method is anything but simple.  We use the
general method (method 2) for everything and get more consistent results
easier.  The simplified method is derived from metal building
manufacturer methods, and for anything but a metal building results in a
complete book keeping atrocity.

You are looking at 25 degrees area B.  The way the simplified method
works this is just one small area that cannot be applied in the same
thinking as the UBC horizontal projected area.  You have to add the area
B to the Area E uplift, basically all areas A through H get applied
simultaneously as one load case.  Then you rotate the building reference
corner and apply the whole thing again for all four reference corners.

Get away from the simplified methods and you will simplify your life,
while getting something closer to what you are used to.  I don't believe
the ASCE wind provisions could be any more convoluted and difficult to
apply to real world engineering if we tried.  The UBC methods were
derived as a conservative simplification of the ASCE provisions years
ago, and we desperately need to achieve something similar again.
Spending three days on a doctoral thesis to develop simple wind
pressures as opposed to working on load path and quality engineering is
counter-productive, and saving 1.4 psf in wind pressure only matters to
mass produced square boxes trying to be paper thin.

Paul Feather PE, SE
pfeather(--nospam--at)SE-Solutions.net
www.SE-Solutions.net