From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)umich.edu]
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2008 9:58 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: IBC 2007 Wind calcs.

I want to say that this method is more or less based off the simplified
method that Washington has produce and has been mentioned by others.

Personally, while I find there to be some complexities that I don't feel are
necessarily needed in the current ASCE 7 wind provisions, I don't find them
that difficult to use...including Method 1.  I find that I can pump out wind
pressures in method 1 in very short order.  It does take more time to use
those pressures to analyze stuff in MWFRS since they now have corner
pressures and such...but you don't really gain that much compared to older
more "uniform" pressures except for some buildings that might be rather
succeptible to torsional effects.  But it does help that I have been using
the ASCE 7 methods for a LONG time, while engineers in CA are more used to
only using the simplified methods that were in the UBC.

I would be the first to agree that ASCE 7 has gone of the deep end to some
degree in "sharpening the pencil" for wind provisions, but I am not sure that
I would liken them to a doctoral thesis (unless you are talking about the
wind provisions for signs or flexible structures or dynamically sensitive
structures and have to start calculating gust coefficients).

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI