RE: IBC 2007 Wind calcs.

It's not so much we are having trouble with the wind provisions, it's
just the effort isn't warranted.  I agree the general method is not
over-whelming, despite my earlier post, but why do I want to go through
all the machinations to derive a wind pressure of 17.4 psf net instead
of 20 psf I can calculate in 30 seconds and apply in a straight
horizontal projection?  The conservatism is non-existent for most
structures, the wind forces are simply not controlling over seismic, and
the average structure can absorb that conservatism with ease.  I have
worked with both methods in multiple states for many years, so it isn't
some new experience for me; the real level of conservatism is not that
great a difference.

You may get pressures for method one in a minute, but you will be
applying 12 extra load cases to get design forces.

And the new load case provisions (relevant to UBC)requiring .6DL for
seismic is absurd.

I for one will take "dumbed down" unless I really need the more
analytical method.  For the majority of applications be a little
conservative and spend the time on the rest of the design.  Even seismic
design, you don't try and perform highly analytical dynamic methods for
simple structures.

Paul Feather PE, SE
pfeather(--nospam--at)SE-Solutions.net
www.SE-Solutions.net