From: ECVAl3(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:ECVAl3(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2008 6:10 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Effects

I get the load combinations idea and the effects of combining the factors but
the elements themselves are defined as "the effects of...". The procedure is
to calculate the base shear "V"  or the component force "Fp" but whether
these equate directly to QE or D is not really clear because of the
definition of these elements. (D is not defined as the "dead load" but as the
"effects of the dead load"). I'm also assuming the "D" dead load is not the
same as the "W" ((defined in section 12.7.2) and "D" is only the dead load
acting directly on that particular shear resisting element being analyzed
(eg: shear wall or frame).

Maybe I'm reading to much into this but I can't help but think what a lawyer
would do with this kind of wording. There's always an Expert Witness" lurking
around the corner that would testify that the Engineer of Record did not use
all "the effects of V or Fp" by using just V or Fp in the formulas.
S.Macie

In a message dated 2/14/2008 6:44:42 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,