RE: SOG/fibers cont...

Interesting .  Thanks for the link.
Y'all do things different there.  No way will a cont'r go chair the rebar behind the screed.  Also, most of the bldgs I've done were almost exclusively developer driven (and on very good sandy soil).  Hence "Build it, as cheaply as possible; fill it quickly, and sell it to the equivalent of a commercial "slumlord" is the motto.
Yeah, they like it when I offer to show them how to do it right, after they've "beeb doing it this way for 30 years".  Why is it always 30?

>>> On 2/14/2008 at 4:00 PM, Harold Sprague <spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com> wrote:
I have seen a laser screed used extensively on slabs with WWR and with rebar.  The flat work contractor just has to plan for it.  Using a telecoping laser screed, they will chair the reinforcing just prior to placing the concrete in about 10 ft strips and drive on the rebar that is still setting on grade.  They will come back and chair up the next 10 ft strip and place that concrete.

They also make small hand guided laser screeds that are light enough to run on metal deck or on top of chaired bar or WWR.  Check out the Copperhead laser screed.  Take a look at this web site and watch the video if you want to see it in use.  Then ask the contractor if you want him to show him how it is done;>)
http://www.somero.com/
If you do try to screed out a slab, you will become a fan of using WWR 4x4 2.1x2.1 on dobies.  It is an easier platform to walk on as you place the concrete.

You may want to consider a preplacement meeting with the ready mix supplier, the flatwork contractor, the pumper, and the GC.  Give them all of the information and what the owner expects.

If the owner and contractor decide they want to use poly fibers, they can.  Just leave your plans alone and let them construct whatever they want without either acknowledging the fibers or approving them.

I have seen designers give the contractor and owner what they want and then the owner will sue all of the designers when it goes south.  Their argument (and it is successful) is that you are the construction professional and you should have known and advised them properly.

Regards,
Harold Sprague