From: Brian Gerving [mailto:bgerving(--nospam--at)ci.eureka.ca.gov]
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2008 2:01 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Soils Reports under CBC 1802.2

Why the indecision?  Building officials certainly do have personal liability
if malice or forethought is involved in a given decision.  Discussing issues
like this ad nauseam, which believe me, building officials around the state
have done, definitely qualifies as forethought.

Regarding the ability of building officials to waive soils reports, please
read the text of the exception to Section 1802.2:

?The building official need not require a foundation or soils investigation
where satisfactory data from adjacent areas is available that demonstrates
an investigation is not necessary for any of the conditions in Sections
1802.2.1 through 1802.2.6.?

Note that the exception does not apply to Section 1802.2.7, which is what
triggers soils reports for structures assigned to SDCs D, E, and F.

Brian