From: Dennis Wish [mailto:dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net]
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 12:14 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Is a garage partially open, open or closed?

Many people leave their garage door open. If this is true, the is the uplift due to wind applied to the entire bottom of the roof framing plus the eaves? If the garage door is open only part of the time (entry and leaving or while working in the garage) how is it treated?

This is a residential two car garage I am referring to. If considered open then the possibility for uplift affecting the roof is a greater risk. My neighbor keeps his garage open while mine is mostly down. I don’t think it is an issue of what people can do but rather how the code interpretet's the structure. Is there a table that I am missing that references residential garages and how to treat them in relationship to wind?

Thanks

Dennis