RE: ASCE 7-05 Cantilevered Columns

Larry,

Your question unfortunately remained unanswered.  I am reading this table the same way you do with the following exception: the steel column embedded into the concrete grade beam or foundation is allowed as long as the column meets the section compactness and other requirements of a column of a special steel moment.  I would also add that I would recommend that the grade beam is detailed (stirrups spacing) as a beam of a special concrete frame.

Just my 2 cents.

Alexander (Sasha) Itsekson, SE

Enginious Structures, Inc.

Oakland, CA