Re: Roof Gardens Live load

As with most progressive green recommendations, the period of return is infinite. That's not to say that building green is bad, or that all efficient building is more expensive than it's worth (in dollars), simply that many of the higher levels of "efficiency" are not cost effective from a purely accounting perspective.

A roof garden is a good idea for certain things; structural efficiency is not one of them.

Jordan

Szuchuan Chang wrote:
I was reading about the ASCE 7 Table 4-1 about the minimum roof loads.

"Roofs used for roof gardens .." 100 psf on page 13 of the book.

Hope that you have not miss this requirement.

//=====

In order to meet the LEED requirements (to get a SILVER) our project
manager insisting on adding a garden on the roof. In a SDC of "E"
building.  In San Jose area near the bay.

Loads 100 psf are not reduceable for seismic design.  How long will it
be for the building owner to recover the cost of adding extera lateral
capacity for a grarden on roof in Bay Area?

Szuchuan