RE: Roof Gardens Live load

A roof garden gets some LEED points, but to try to put a dollar benefit is very difficult (if not impossible) to determine.  You can compute the thermal benefit of insulation, the reduction in lighting costs with skylights, the energy reduction with ground source heat pumps, etc.  The direct economic benefit of a roof garden is very small.  However, the cost can be calculated, and it is significant in high seismic areas.  I would ask the project manager to determine the benefits.  I would doubt if you could ever get this to pay for itself.   There are much more efficient ways to achieve LEED Silver.

It will cost a lot if you get a significant seismic event because of the increase in demand on the entire structural system and the expectation of nonlinear performance.

Regards,
Harold Sprague