Re: Chapter 17- IBC

We had a similar situation where the client discussed with the AHJ and the AHJ agreed that certain code requirements were not necessary.  The reasons were convenience (we've never done that before, the rest of the building wasn't done that way, increase in cost with no perceived increase in quality, ...).

This was not a special inspection situation but a material (inappropriate) use situation.  Being the engineer of record, we maintained the drawings which complied with the code.  It ended up the owner did what they wanted with the AHJ's agreement.

We never did get as-built record drawings for the job.

Paul.