Re: Shamefully Off-Topic: Carbon Christmas

Title:

I was looking for any posting from this Listserv to see if anyone received a similar mailing that I have just opened regarding a Petition to … “urge the US government to reject the global warming agreement that was written in Kyoto, Japan in December 1997…”? (hasn’t the US government already rejected this?)  and I came across this posting on the SEAINT listserv (ie, the closest thing I could find to my question, coming up).  The letter package I received included a 12-page paper “Environmental Effects of Increased Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide” and a copy of an article from the Wall Street Journal “Global Warming is 300-year-old news”

Has anyone else received a similar mailing?

I Googled for “GWPP La Jolla, CA” (which is the return address on the envelope) and came up with this wiki site:

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2007/10/oregon-institute-of-science-and-malarkey/

The RealClimate website “is a commentary site on climate science by working climate scientists for the interested public and journalists”.  Apparently, there were a lot of people who read this wiki who received this mailing.  The authors of the website, instead of pulling apart the article for all its bogus points, decided to leave it up the climatologist community to do.  From Oct 10 to Dec 21 (the last posting today) there were 138 postings, mostly debunking the article.

Funny enough, the article was written by 3 people at the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine (OISM) (published in the Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons; other articles written in this journal include a claim that abortion causes breast cancer and a piece entitled "liberalism is a mental disorder") – increased atmospheric carbon dioxide is as pertinent to Physicians and Surgeons as it is to Structural Engineers, I guess.  There was a reference to the OISM Petition in answer 9 from Stan’s link to a “Global Warming Test” (OISM is a real authority on the subject, as far as I can tell) – apparently the same petition that I received in the mail (and apparently I’m a also a scientist [of structural engineering] that is also an authority on the subject of global warming).

Also, funny enough, the climatologist community can be just as critical as the structural engineering community on various topics of interest – especially those that run near and dear to their profession.  The climatologist community has dubbed the acronym OISM to now be “Oregon Institute of Science and Malarkey”.

But really, has anyone else received this mailing?  I’m interested to know how this organization received my name.  My hope is that ASCE or NCSEA isn’t giving out mailing lists to dubious organizations like GWPP (Global Warming Petition Project).  Frederick Seitz (a condensed matter physicist and not a climatologist), who signed the letter that came with the petition package, has also worked as a consultant to the tobacco industry, is a former chair of George C. Marshall Institute; is Chairman of the Science and Environmental Policy Project; is on the Board of Academic and Scientific Advisors of the Committee for a Constructive Tomorrow, and has been a Science Advisor to The Advancement of Sound Science Coalition. All four organizations actively lobby against any measures to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, all four are well known for publishing disinformation concerning science in order to achieve this objective; and all four are funded by sections of the fossil fuel industry.