From: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2008 3:10 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Chapter 17- IBC

For the most part special inspections are not being done very well.  Local
authorities having jurisdiction should require a "special inspector of
record" (SIOR) in order to be truly effective.  It is a simple concept that
was intituted in the Special Inspection Program in Kansas City, MO.
http://www.kcmo.org/codes.nsf/web/spinsp?opendocument

The program developed in Kansas City were born more out of the bitter lessons
of the Hyatt Regency walkway failure as opposed to seismic design
considerations of the West Coast.  This program and check sheets requires the
SIOR to verify that all special inspectors were properly qualified, all of
the special inspection discrepencies were resolved with the EOR, and all of
the special inspections were performed.

The lazy engineer in me likes the concept of going to one piece of paper that
says ALL of the special inspections were done and done properly, and that
paper bears the seal of a PE in charge of special inspections.  It may not be
bullet proof, but it is better than what we currently have.

Developing the "SIOR" may be yet another windmill for me to tilt.  If nothing
else, the KC manual can be added to any set of specs.  Although it might look
odd to have a KC manual for inspection on a project in Guam.

Regards,
Harold Sprague