Re: J-bolts or headed studs

Bob Freeman wrote:

Joe:

You may want to consider using headed studs rather than J-bolts due to the eccentricities during tension loading that the j-bolts set up. I believe SEAOC has published research illustrating this concern. Our office no longer uses J-bolts for this reason.

Respectfully:

Bob Freeman AIA, EIT

IDS Group, Inc.

Also, there have been cases where J bolts have been worked free by repeated bending of the columns without fracturing the concrete. I think ACI 318 Appendix D also downgrades the allowable tension in a J bolt compared to a headed stud or washer and nut on a threaded rod.