Re: Earthquake (experiencing)

So true, Suresh.

Ralph

In a message dated 2/21/08 2:39:18 PM, Suresh.Acharya(--nospam--at)ci.concord.ca.us writes:
Ralph,
Here is why Loma Prieta experience was a "bad" experience for typical homeowners: *Every* homeowner around this part of the SF Bay says his or her house stood Loma Prieta earthquake of 6.9 magnitude, and not a single crack occured, but the Bay Bridge failed!

I believe, the shaking was not even 10%g in most part, and only the areas suffered around here was the baymud areas.

-Suresh Acharya, S.E.

From: Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 12:51 PM
To: drp181(--nospam--at)yahoo.com; seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Earthquake (experiencing)

Hear, hear!  (meaning, "You betcham, Kemo Sabe")  Okay, so I'm dating myself.

Feeling the 1965 6.5 in Seattle -- sounding like a freight train speeding right by me while the ground rolled like a small boat in a choppy sea -- gave a whole new meaning to earthquakes that all the photos of damage the previous year in Anchorage's 8.4 didn't begin to do.

Similarly, 1989's 6.9 Loma Prieta, when I was almost thrown off my house roof, even though the epicenter was 75 miles distant.

"Experience is the best motivator."

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA