ASCE 7-05 Cantilevered Columns‏

Michel,

I don't think Sec. 12.2.5.6 or .7 is applicable since those would be OMF's with steel beams and moment connections. What I am talking about are "flag pole" structural elements such as cantilevered WF columns out of a grade beam or cantilevered pile foundations. Unless someone can convince me other wise I will be designing them with an "R" of 2.5 per Table 12.2-1 Item "G.1", (Special Steel Moment Frames". My rational is that the columns don't know whether they are "Special" or "Ordinary", (Item "G.3"), since there is no moment connection at the top, and an R of 2.5 equates to approximately an R of 2.2 which was required in the '97 UBC. I feel an R of 1.25 is way to conservative.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Larry Hauer S.E.