Pipe Rack Retrofit

Respected Engineers,
I am retrofitting a pipe rack (built to an old code). Can anyone
please clarify to me the following:
1-  why I should check the overturning moment of the PS, and where in
the code does it say that the overturning moment shall be per stress
design (DL+LL+EL)?
2- To calculate the rebar, do we use the above LCs , IBC2006 equations
of section1605.2, or the ACI design LCs?
3- What are the techniques used if existing A.B., Base Plates, or
foundations don't satisfy the requirements of the new code, i.e. FAIL?

Your advise is tremendously appreciated.

Best regards,

Tiffany Lorenzzi
Rookie Engineer