Sign Structures

List,
I design sign structures for 2 clients-these are all free-standing signs on one or two posts. In our area, generally wind governs. A municipality has questioned whether I designed a particular sign for seismic loading. Nothing in our codes addresses the issue of signs subject to seismic loading unless they are part of a building, in which case they are considered a fixture just like a mechanical piece of equipment. Our codes only require that signs over a certain height or area have to be designed by a professional engineer. So, I guess my question is what seismic loading do you design signs for? Thanks in advance.
Gary