Re: butchering steel stud webs - guideline?

I don't believe there is any prescriptive guideline.
For highly-loaded sluds, it likely needs to be calculated, which is why the Codes require a stamp for anything outside simple prescriptive "designs"
The design for how it is loaded is just like any other beam/ col.  Relatively easy to calc the properties and design for the 5 psf load
However you CAN take, and justify, a relatively prescriptive approach.  Look at your size/ gage of stud.  measure the extent of the hole from "butchering.  If the hole is no larger than the typical size of the hole in a punched stud, use the load table for punched.  If the application works for the punched stud (very likely), it'll work fairly conservatively for your stud.
JDC

>>> On 2/28/2008 at 3:21 PM, "Haan, Scott M POA" <Scott.M.Haan(--nospam--at)usace.army.mil> wrote:
Anyone aware of a prescriptive code requirement or SSMA guideline or
something for how much web can be butchered out interior partition steel
studs to get plumbing through?

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org