Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Sign Structures

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Thanks, Harold
I will be doing that. There is no guidance in our codes on signs or other non-building structures. Your codes go further than ours, as ours are only written in regard to buildings. If I want to design a crane runway, storage bin, or sign _for seismic loads_, I have to refer to American publications. The problem is that our codes don't use the same terms or geographical data. In going up against this municipality, I have to be on firm footing, because my customer has a history of bad relations with them--he has won two law suits against the city and their three page letter (of structural questions only) came two days after the latest judgement was published in the newspaper. This city has the first or second highest average income in Canada and they don't like billboard signs, even if though there a lot of them existing in the city. One of the questions was "did I do a dynamic analysis of the structure" (for a 20'x10' sign with a top at 25' above grade).
How many cases of beer do I owe you now?

Harold Sprague wrote:
The projected area in the plane of the sign is relatively small. Seismic may govern. You could categorize signs as nonbuilding structures. The loading is a function of the force resisting system which establishes the response coefficient and the mass.
Harold Sprague

> Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 17:04:42 -0500
> From: ghodgson(--nospam--at)
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)
> Subject: Sign Structures
> List,
> I design sign structures for 2 clients-these are all free-standing signs
> on one or two posts. In our area, generally wind governs. A
> municipality has questioned whether I designed a particular sign for
> seismic loading. Nothing in our codes addresses the issue of signs
> subject to seismic loading unless they are part of a building, in which
> case they are considered a fixture just like a mechanical piece of
> equipment. Our codes only require that signs over a certain height or
> area have to be designed by a professional engineer. So, I guess my
> question is what seismic loading do you design signs for? Thanks in
> advance.
> Gary

Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your Hotmail®-get your "fix". Check it out. <>

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
* * This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers * Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To * subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
* Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you * send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted * without your permission. Make sure you visit our web * site at: ******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********