Re: Sign Structures

Thanks, Harold
I will be doing that. There is no guidance in our codes on signs or other non-building structures. Your codes go further than ours, as ours are only written in regard to buildings. If I want to design a crane runway, storage bin, or sign _for seismic loads_, I have to refer to American publications. The problem is that our codes don't use the same terms or geographical data. In going up against this municipality, I have to be on firm footing, because my customer has a history of bad relations with them--he has won two law suits against the city and their three page letter (of structural questions only) came two days after the latest judgement was published in the newspaper. This city has the first or second highest average income in Canada and they don't like billboard signs, even if though there a lot of them existing in the city. One of the questions was "did I do a dynamic analysis of the structure" (for a 20'x10' sign with a top at 25' above grade).
Gary
How many cases of beer do I owe you now?

Harold Sprague wrote:
Gary,
The projected area in the plane of the sign is relatively small. Seismic may govern. You could categorize signs as nonbuilding structures. The loading is a function of the force resisting system which establishes the response coefficient and the mass.
Regards,
Harold Sprague