Re: butchering steel stud webs - guideline?

From page 5 of the SSMA Product Technical Information catalog, ICBO ER-4943P, punchouts have a maximum width of half the member depth or 2.5", whichever is less and a maximum length of 4.5".  Minimum spacing is 24", minimum distance from end of stud to the near edge of the punch out is 10".  Here's the link:

http://www.ssma.com/ssmatechcatalog.pdf

Hope this helps.

Wade Sticht, PE

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 5:56 AM, Jerry Coombs <JCoombs(--nospam--at)carollo.com> wrote:
I don't believe there is any prescriptive guideline.
For highly-loaded sluds, it likely needs to be calculated, which is why the Codes require a stamp for anything outside simple prescriptive "designs"
The design for how it is loaded is just like any other beam/ col.  Relatively easy to calc the properties and design for the 5 psf load
However you CAN take, and justify, a relatively prescriptive approach.  Look at your size/ gage of stud.  measure the extent of the hole from "butchering.  If the hole is no larger than the typical size of the hole in a punched stud, use the load table for punched.  If the application works for the punched stud (very likely), it'll work fairly conservatively for your stud.
JDC

>>> On 2/28/2008 at 3:21 PM, "Haan, Scott M POA" <Scott.M.Haan(--nospam--at)usace.army.mil> wrote:
Anyone aware of a prescriptive code requirement or SSMA guideline or
something for how much web can be butchered out interior partition steel
studs to get plumbing through?

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org