Re: Sign Structures

Who gets hurt if the sign decides to be a wild wing?

Neil Moore, SE, SECB

At 09:15 AM 2/29/2008, you wrote:
A "dynamic" analysis for a billboard....  Tomfoolery at its highest...

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 5:00 AM, Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc. <ghodgson(--nospam--at)bellnet.ca> wrote:
Thanks, Harold
I will be doing that.  There is no guidance in our codes on signs or
other non-building structures. Your codes go further than ours, as ours
are only written in regard to buildings.  If I want to design a crane
runway, storage bin, or sign _for seismic loads_, I have to refer to
American publications. The problem is that our codes don't use the same
terms or geographical data.
In going up against this municipality, I have to be on firm footing,
because my customer has a history of bad relations with them--he has won
two law suits against the city and their three page letter (of
structural questions only) came two days after the latest judgement was
published in the newspaper.  This city has the first or second highest
average income in Canada and they don't like billboard signs, even if
though there a lot of them existing in the city.  One of the questions
was "did I do a dynamic analysis of the structure" (for a 20'x10' sign
with a top at 25' above grade).
Gary
How many cases of beer do I owe you now?

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org

--
David Topete, SE