From: Hewitt, Chris [mailto:hewitt(--nospam--at)aisc.org]
Sent: Friday, February 29, 2008 12:24 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: AISC eLearning

Hi,

If you haven’t had a chance to check it out yet, I would recommend that members of this list have a look at AISC’s new online educational programs at www.aisc.org/elearning

They’re all free for anyone to watch and are a great resource that you can take advantage of right from your desk or at home.

This month we’ve released a “boxed lunch” presentation by Shankar Nair on the Stability Provisions of the AISC Specification, which I am sure is of interest to many structural engineers learning the new design specification.  Dr. Nair is an excellent speaker and he was the winner of the 2007 AISC T.R. Higgins Lectureship Award for this work.  The presentation gives an overview of stability design and also reviews the Direct Analysis Method, which is a new approach to stability design that allows engineers to design all of their frame columns with K = 1 when incorporating notional loads and reduced member stiffnesses into the design model.

I hope that you find this to be a useful resource. If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a line.

Chris

Christopher M. Hewitt, S.E., LEED A.P.

AISC Senior Engineer