Re: Sign Structures

No problem with that.  On a 25' tall billboard, I believe a dynamic analysis is a wee bit excessive...

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 2:51 PM, Harold Sprague <spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com> wrote:
The sign in question does not warrent a dynamic analysis, but there are signs along the strip in Las Vegas that sometimes are evaluated in wind tunnels with modifications at the base to determine a dynamic response.

The Hilton sign in Las Vegas is 279' tall with a terrible plan and elevation aspect ratio.  The sign it replaced blew down in a wind storm.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 09:15:41 -0800
From: d.topete73(--nospam--at)gmail.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Sign Structures

A "dynamic" analysis for a billboard....  Tomfoolery at its highest...

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 5:00 AM, Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc. <ghodgson(--nospam--at)bellnet.ca> wrote:
Thanks, Harold
I will be doing that.  There is no guidance in our codes on signs or
other non-building structures. Your codes go further than ours, as ours
are only written in regard to buildings.  If I want to design a crane
runway, storage bin, or sign _for seismic loads_, I have to refer to
American publications. The problem is that our codes don't use the same
terms or geographical data.
In going up against this municipality, I have to be on firm footing,
because my customer has a history of bad relations with them--he has won
two law suits against the city and their three page letter (of
structural questions only) came two days after the latest judgement was
published in the newspaper.  This city has the first or second highest
average income in Canada and they don't like billboard signs, even if
though there a lot of them existing in the city.  One of the questions
was "did I do a dynamic analysis of the structure" (for a 20'x10' sign
with a top at 25' above grade).
Gary
How many cases of beer do I owe you now?

--
David Topete, SE