Re: Concrete exposed to seawater

You can also go to cement.org, and the standard specs for DOT's  for CA, FL, OR or WA which I believe are available online....also make sure you use a well graded aggregate mix as you want as much of an even distribution of cement paste that you can achieve, without a lot of cracking.....

----- Original Message -----
From: William.Sherman(--nospam--at)CH2M.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Concrete exposed to seawater
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 16:17:06 -0700

Do any ACI codes or standards specifically address concrete cover requirements for concrete:

a. Directly exposed to seawater.

b. Exposed to salt laden air (coastal structures not in direct contact with seawater).

I am aware of some discussion in some ACI guides and commentaries and some requirements in European standards, but I am looking for "mandatory language" documents in the U.S.

Bill
William Sherman - CH2M HILL / Denver
Principal Structural Technologist
Structural Global Technology Leader - Water Business Group
william.sherman(--nospam--at)ch2m.com
720.286.2792

Bart Needham, SE
Principal, nbse associates, inc.