    Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 09:15:41 -0800
    From: d.topete73(--nospam--at)gmail.com
    To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
    Subject: Re: Sign Structures

    A "dynamic" analysis for a billboard....  Tomfoolery at its highest...

    On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 5:00 AM, Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc.
    <ghodgson(--nospam--at)bellnet.ca <mailto:ghodgson(--nospam--at)bellnet.ca>> wrote:

        Thanks, Harold
        I will be doing that.  There is no guidance in our codes on
        signs or
        other non-building structures. Your codes go further than
        ours, as ours
        are only written in regard to buildings.  If I want to design
        a crane
        runway, storage bin, or sign _for seismic loads_, I have to
        refer to
        American publications. The problem is that our codes don't use
        the same
        terms or geographical data.
        In going up against this municipality, I have to be on firm
        footing,
        because my customer has a history of bad relations with
        them--he has won
        two law suits against the city and their three page letter (of
        structural questions only) came two days after the latest
        judgement was
        published in the newspaper.  This city has the first or second
        highest
        average income in Canada and they don't like billboard signs,
        even if
        though there a lot of them existing in the city.  One of the
        questions
        was "did I do a dynamic analysis of the structure" (for a
        20'x10' sign
        with a top at 25' above grade).
        Gary
        How many cases of beer do I owe you now?

        Harold Sprague wrote:
        > Gary,
        > The projected area in the plane of the sign is relatively small.
        > Seismic may govern.  You could categorize signs as nonbuilding
        > structures.  The loading is a function of the force
        resisting system
        > which establishes the response coefficient and the mass.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Harold Sprague
        >
        > > Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 17:04:42 -0500
        > > From: ghodgson(--nospam--at)bellnet.ca <mailto:ghodgson(--nospam--at)bellnet.ca>
        > > To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <mailto:seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
        > > Subject: Sign Structures
        > >
        > > List,
        > > I design sign structures for 2 clients-these are all
        free-standing
        > signs
        > > on one or two posts. In our area, generally wind governs. A
        > > municipality has questioned whether I designed a
        particular sign for
        > > seismic loading. Nothing in our codes addresses the issue
        of signs
        > > subject to seismic loading unless they are part of a
        building, in which
        > > case they are considered a fixture just like a mechanical
        piece of
        > > equipment. Our codes only require that signs over a
        certain height or
        > > area have to be designed by a professional engineer. So, I
        guess my
        > > question is what seismic loading do you design signs for?
        Thanks in